Join Our Summer Staff!
After reviewing the applications, we will contact you to schedule a face-to-face interview. Returning staff will receive a phone interview.
- Challenge Course training (optional): March 20-24 (re-certification March 25)
- Staff training: May 18-May 26
- Summer Camp season: May 29 - August 4 2017
- Weekends off (opportunities for extra income if you wish to work weekends)
- Salary: $2500 - $3,000 (returning staff & specialty training recieve bonuses)
- Room and board provided
- Camp T-shirts provided
- $1 daily credit at the Canteen
- Community of Believers
- Personal Development: Spiritual, Professional, Emotional
- Safety and Abuse-Prevention Training
Camp Counselor FAQ:
Why should I work at Horizon?
- Horizon offers summer jobs filled with the joys of ministering to kids in God's natural setting. We hire dedicated and qualified staff to live and work at the camp during each summer. During this time, you will undoubtedly be challenged in more ways than you can imagine, grow in ways you never knew you could and leave with an experience that will last a lifetime! Working on a summer camp staff is one of the most rewarding experiences a young person can have.
What do kids do when they come to camp?
- Horizon offers a variety of camp activities; children can choose the camp that best suits them. Depending on age, campers will get to go canoeing, hiking, swimming, camping, have cookouts, campfires, participate on the low- and high-challenge courses, make crafts, play games, and enjoy lots of praise and worship. Some camps, such as science or performing arts, offer additional activities. No matter what camp children choose, they are sure to have an amazing time and take home great memories!
What does a counselor do?
- Counselors are responsible for the 24-hour supervision of our campers, leading devotions, and Bible studies, and preparing and leading camp activities. Our summer staff members are hired primarily for their love of working with children and their passion for outdoor ministry. Our counselors are trained in basic counseling skills, as well as at least one of the following skills: ropes-course facilitating, lifeguarding, playing in the praise band, canoeing, archery, and arts and crafts.
Can I stay at camp on the weekends?
- Yes! You can relax and enjoy the grounds on weekends. There are also opportunities to make extra money at the camp by assisting with weekend guests, including helping in the kitchen, lifeguarding, ropes-course facilitating, etc.
Should I apply if I have to miss part of the summer?
- Yes! If you know what days you will not be available, you can indicate them on the application. If you will be missing a majority of the summer but still want to be a part of the ministry check out our assistant counselor position. In this volunteer post, you have many of the same responsibilities as a counselor but the freedom to pick the weeks that work best for your summer schedule.